November 22 2014 Latest news:
Friday, November 16, 2012
Liam Walsh’s world title fight with Ricky Burns is off.
The Cromer fighter was involved in a car crash on Tuesday night at Marsham, near Alysham, and his injuries have ruled him out of the planned December showdown.
Walsh, 26, who was travelling with his brother Ryan, had to be cut out of the car and was rushed to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital suffering from suspected spinal injuries.
Further tests revealed serious muscle damage, which has forced Walsh to pull out of his fight with WBO lightweight title-holder Burns.
“I can’t believe it. I’m gutted, absolutely gutted. I couldn’t believe I got the call for a world title in the first place,” said Walsh. “I was so happy and I was thinking was this really true and the first thing after the crash I asked if we could not just re-arrange it, can we please postpone it but that is not possible.
“Hopefully, we can do it early next year if he comes through the show in December but I’m not sure what his obligations are. The show in December will be still going ahead but without me.
“It’s difficult for me to stay positive, though, at the moment. I just can’t wait until this year is out of the way, it has been the worst year of my life,” said Walsh, who buried his father just before Christmas last year.
“I’ve not had any luck this year. Everyone is devastated. My brothers are devastated and I’m truly sorry for all the fans.”