No Norwich City transfer U-turn insists Sebastien Haller
PUBLISHED: 06:30 29 January 2016 | UPDATED: 07:49 29 January 2016
Highly-rated French striker Sebastien Haller is ruling out a late transfer U-turn to join Norwich City.
Haller held talks with Alex Neil on a flying visit to Colney earlier this month, but the 21-year-old will not be returning ahead of Monday’s 11pm deadline.
The Canaries’ top brass are still actively looking to bolster Neil’s squad, ahead of the window closing, after bringing in four new players and sealing a permanent deal for Matt Jarvis.
City agreed a fee with FC Utrecht for Haller but the frontman, who has hit 11 goals in 19 games in the Dutch top flight, aims to stay in Holland this season.
“The story was all that I was medically examined, it was rubbish,” he said, in an interview with Dutch magazine Voetbal International. “I was not going to play football at Norwich City. I have a different plan in my head and that is until the summer to stay with FC Utrecht and play in the coming months to try and get the club into the Europa League. Norwich is the only club that has come in so far with a bid.
“Apart from that I think a winter transfer too risky. You come to a new club halfway in and have to adapt quickly. There is actually no time for that.
“It’s about me and finding the right moment to arrive at a good club; a club with a good plan for the future. For now my goal is really to achieve something with FC Utrecht.”
Neil made his own feelings clear on Haller’s marked reluctance to try his luck in the English top flight prior to the 5-4 Premier League defeat against Liverpool.
“We are all aware the Premier League is bigger than the Europa League,” said Neil. “So if he comes here and scores goals in the Premier League your stock would go a hell of a lot higher than if you score a few goals in the Europa on a Thursday night.”