December 19 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Defender Russell Martin has welcomed skipper Grant Holt’s new contract as a major boost for Norwich City.
Top scorer for the past three seasons, Holt clinched a three-year deal with the Canaries last week, taking him to 2015.
The 31-year-old had asked for a transfer, sparking more than six weeks of uncertainty over his future.
“It was a good boost for the club just before pre-season started. The big man’s staying, so it’s really good news,” said Martin.
“He had a lot of suitors because of the season he had, well, the last three years he’s had, and he’s a big character in and around the dressing room as well. It was important for us to keep him and thankfully the management and the board have managed to do that.”
Martin, speaking to Talksport on the third day back in training under new manager Chris Hughton, also welcomed the arrival of defender Steve Whittaker and midfielder Jacob Butterfield.
“We’ve made a few good additions already and I’m sure the manager’s got his sights on other players,” said Martin. “It always picks up the squad, keeps people on their toes. Competition is really healthy.
“As footballers, you have to embrace competition and use it to improve yourself.”