April 20 2014 Latest news:
Monday, December 16, 2013
Norwich City’s FA Youth Cup winning striker Carlton Morris has signed a two-and-a-half year professional contract with the Canaries.
Morris has pledged his future to the club until 2016 after impressing at academy level. The powerful striker was a key part of the club’s first FA Youth Cup success in 30 years last season and struck a brace in last week’s 6-1 FA Youth Cup third round win at Preston’s Under-18s as the holders’ opened their defence in emphatic style. Morris revealed he is targeting another run in the prestigious competition after being rewarded for his swift progression.
“It will be interesting to see where I am two-and-a-half years from now - it’s very exciting,” he told the club’s official site. “I haven’t looked down in years and not seen that Norwich City badge there, so it’s nice to get some security and now I can really concentrate on another FA Youth Cup run this year and getting a few more goals. I couldn’t have done anything without our coaching staff and my teammates, but it’s nice to take some praise for myself and now I can strive for that next contract.”
City chief Chris Hughton is convinced Morris has the potential to make the same progression as eight other members of last season’s FA Youth Cup squad who were offered professional contracts.
“He’s one that earned the right to be where he is at the moment, and we’re really delighted firstly for him but for the club as well,” said Hughton. “The reason he was offered a new deal was because of the progress that he has made. He was very involved in the FA Youth Cup team last season and we saw that progress. He was younger than most of those who were involved so it was a great experience for him, and he’s continued that progress this season. He was here before my time and I think the club have nurtured him very well, so it’s worked out very well both ways.”