September 18 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Norwich City manager Chris Hughton hopes yet more reinforcements are on the way as his latest recruit was presented to the media.
Gary Hooper spoke to the press for the first time since his £5m arrival yesterday but talk has already turned to who Norwich will turn to next to strengthen a forward line that had already been supplemented by Ricky van Wolfswinkel earlier this summer.
Hughton admitted to being interested in Juventus striker Fabio Quagliarella amid rumours of an 8million euros offer from the Canaries but refused to discuss what stage the negotiations are at.
“I’ve heard and seen those reports in the press,” said the City boss when quizzed about the 30-year-old. “But it’s exactly the same as our work with Gary (Hooper) – from our side we worked in the correct way, very much behind the scenes and until there was something official to say we didn’t say it.
“I think the fact there are some players that are being linked with us in some ways is a good thing because it means we are trying to be pro-active and we are trying to improve. But certainly until there is anything to say we will wait.”
Hughton’s main priority this summer was to invigorate a forward line that looked stale at times last season. Grant Holt, Simeon Jackson and James Vaughan have all moved on and it is clear the City boss would like one more offensive addition before the end of the transfer window.
“We’re still weighing up all the options that we’ve got,” he said. “Offensively it doesn’t necessarily mean it is just those central positions.
“But what you also have to remember is that we have lost players. We’ve lost Simeon Jackson and of course Grant has gone
“We have a responsibility to make this squad as strong and competitive as possible. We are still doing our work and our due diligence. If we do have that opportunity then we will look to take it.”
Whilst Hughton will look to offload those not in his plans for next, he revealed Robert Snodgrass definitely does not fit into that category.
West Ham were linked with a £5m offer over the weekend but Hughton insisted the Scotland international remains an integral part of his tactics for next season.
“I think it’s testament to how well the players have done but we are in a good place at the moment,” he said about the Hammers’ reported bid. “We want to ensure we keep hold of our best players and we are a club at the moment that doesn’t need to sell.
“We are looking to strengthen and not let players go. He (Snodgrass) is definitely a player who is very much in our plans.”