Investigation into alleged misconduct by former Norwich City defender Malky Mackay

File photo dated 21-12-2013 of Cardiff manager Malky Mackay before the Barclays Premier League match at Anfield, Liverpool. PRESS ASSOCIATION File photo dated 21-12-2013 of Cardiff manager Malky Mackay before the Barclays Premier League match at Anfield, Liverpool. PRESS ASSOCIATION

Press Association
Thursday, August 21, 2014
11:20 AM

Former Norwich City defender Malky Mackay is today at the heart of an investigation into allegations of racists, sexist and homophobic behaviour.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Norwich City players (from left) Alex Notman, Clint Easton, Malky Mackay and Phil Mulryne celebrate play-off success at Molineux.Norwich City players (from left) Alex Notman, Clint Easton, Malky Mackay and Phil Mulryne celebrate play-off success at Molineux.

The Football Association is investigating a dossier on the conduct of Malky Mackay and Iain Moody submitted to the governing body by Cardiff.

The FA has confirmed it has received a detailed account of issues related to former Cardiff manager Mackay and his head of recruitment Moody, who today resigned as director of football at Crystal Palace.

The Daily Mail has reported the document contains allegations of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.

An FA spokesman said: “The FA can confirm it is currently investigating this matter.”

Mackay, who was initially favourite to replace Chris Hughton as Norwich manager at the end of last season, is now understood to be out of the running for the vacant manager’s job at Palace after the club ended their pursuit of the former Watford boss.

Press Association Sport understands the dossier was filed more than a week ago and was not deliberately timed to affect Mackay’s candidacy at Selhurst Park.

Former Norwich and Newcastle boss Chris Hughton is understood to have expressed an interest in succeeding Tony Pulis at the south London club.

Crystal Palace declined to comment on the situation regarding both Mackay and Moody.

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan sacked Mackay in December 2013, just a few months after the Scot had ended the Bluebirds’ 51-year wait for top-flight football.

Two months earlier Moody had been placed on gardening leave before being subsequently dismissed.

Mackay, who played more than 200 games for Norwich in a six year spell from 1998, launched a £7.5million legal claim against Tan for compensation and wrongful dismissal after his sacking but suddenly dropped the claim in May and issued an apology to the Malaysian businessman.

Cardiff have declined to make any public comment on the dossier, saying it is a now a legal matter in the hands of the Football Association.

Earlier this week Palace were fined by the Premier League for their part in the ‘spygate’ saga involving Cardiff last April.

The Premier League determined that Palace had breached their ‘good faith’ rule - B16 - by obtaining information about Cardiff’s team ahead of their 3-0 win when the two clubs were relegation rivals.

The Welsh club had complained to the Premier League that Moody had contacted Cardiff employees for information in the build-up to the game.

The Gay Football Supporters’ Network (GFSN) admitted shock at the reports of Mackay’s alleged homophobic comments.

“The GFSN is saddened to hear reports of alleged homophobic comments by Malky Mackay,” said spokesman Simon Smith.

“Homophobia is still a problem in football and we expect a high standard of conduct from managers, who should be setting a positive example of inclusion.

“We will be following the story closely and asking the FA to fully investigate the allegations.”

Mackay’s representatives were unavailable for comment.

Latest Norwich City stories

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT