April 17 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Norwich City boss Chris Hughton insists his transfer targets haven’t changed despite watching his side go down to a heavy defeat at Fulham on Saturday.
The Cottagers exposed a number of deficiencies in the City squad as Martin Jol’s slick side brought home the size of the task facing Hughton.
The 53-year-old has always said he is looking to freshen up his squad before the transfer window closes on August 31, but said Saturday’s display won’t hasten that search. “It hasn’t changed my thinking on what I would like to do,” he said. “We will continue to try to strengthen the squad if we can. There are lots of enquiries, we are working hard the same as anybody else.
“I have to try and strengthen the squad. If I look at what I have got I’m happy with what’s not too different from last season. I like to think that the players that I’ve brought in can add to the players that we’ve got.”
Hughton has already added five new faces since his appointment in June and has made a number of enquiries to add to that number.
He insisted he would continue to carry out his due diligence before entering into the market again to ensure any new signings can complement what he already has in the squad.
“We will endeavour right through to the end of the month bringing in the areas that we can but it’s very difficult when you’re looking to bring in players at this level,” he said.” It’s difficult to get the players in because they have got to be the right players. We will endeavour to strengthen in the areas that we think that we need to.”
The City chief wouldn’t rule out further loan signings after securing Javier Garrido from Lazio on a season-long loan at the end of last week although he conceded that no deals are imminent.
“At this moment it’s neither because there isn’t one that’s done,” he said. “We’re open to bringing players in that will strengthen us – whether that’s bringing players that we’re purchasing or bringing players in on loan.”
Hughton spent part of yesterday’s training session with his players analysing where his side went wrong at Fulham but refused to pick out individuals for criticism in public.
It is however safe to say he has let the players know that standards must improve if they are to be competitive again in the top flight.
“It is a team performance and it was a very poor one,” he said. “Certainly, it is not a day for picking out players. As a whole we were far short of what is expected and the standards you expect to get a performance.”