November 26 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Norwich City have confirmed the signing of former Rangers and Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar on a free transfer.
The 32-year-old Spaniard was available on a free after his release from Sunderland in the summer and has signed a one-year contract, which includes an option for a further year.
Cuellar becomes City manager Neil Adams’ fourth permanent signing having passed a medical with the club and watched City’s 3-1 win against Blackburn at Carrow Road last night.
“Carlos brings bags of experience as he’s played at the highest level in three countries,” Adams told City’s official website.
“He can play as a centre-back and a right-back, and we’re brought him here to strengthen the options we have in defence.
“He’s a top quality player, so we welcome him into the squad and it will be great to have him available.”
Cuellar, who had been in talks with Crystal Palace earlier this summer and spent time on trial at Blackburn, took to his personal Twitter account (@Cuellar24) to say: “Very happy to start this new adventure!!”
Speaking to his new club’s website, Cuellar said: “To be here is a pleasure and a great opportunity for me to be part of the club, to keep playing and (with) the goal to get back to the Premier League.
“The aim is to play football and it was a long time since I played my last game and my last training at Sunderland and I was looking forward to starting playing again and training again, because that’s what I like, to be training and to be around with the team.
“It’s a new challenge for me, I have never played in the Championship. I know the league is very good because I have been here for a long time, I know the teams and most of the players.
“I know it’s going be tough, it’s a different league compared to the Premier but I am ready to play, I am ready to compete, I know how the team play and how they want to play.”
And Cuellar confirmed that he arrives at Carrow Road with his sights set on a return to the Premier League, adding: “If you look at the squad, we have a big squad, we have very good players, most of them have played in the Premier League before (and) they know the Championship. For us it is a good opportunity to get back to the Premier League.”
The signing adds to the earlier news that centre-back Michael Turner has signed a new deal which extends his contract at Carrow Road through until the summer of 2016.
Cuellar played over 100 games in the Premier League since signing for Villa from Rangers in a deal worth over £7million but played just six times for Sunderland last season, starting five league games and a Capital One Cup match.
Adams refused to comment on the prospective signings of Cuellar and Stoke City striker Cameron Jerome last night, with Leroy Fer’s £10m move to QPR also still yet to be confirmed.
Follow David Freezer on Twitter @davefreezer