November 28 2014 Latest news:
By Mark Armstrong
Friday, July 13, 2012
Lowestoft Town director of football Craig Fleming has described Yeovil’s decision to back out of a friendly against the Trawlerboys as “plain wrong” and hopes the club will be financially compensated.
Yeovil informed Lowestoft they would not be able to send a first team to Crown Meadow this summer as part of their preparations for the League One season.
This was despite the fact last summer’s transfer deal between the two clubs, which saw Curtis Haynes-Brown head for Huish Park, stipulate Yeovil must send a first team to play Fleming’s men.
Lowestoft have now referred the matter to the FA and Fleming hopes they can provide an approproriate resolution in the Blues’ favour. “I’m really disappointed – we had a few wranglings with Yeovil when they actually signed Curtis and a key part of the deal was the friendly that came about as a result of it,” said Fleming. “We let him go really – the deal certainly wasn’t as clean-cut as we would have liked.
“It’s in an FA contract that a friendly against their first team would be part of the deal. They said that they could send their youth side but that’s not good enough.”
Fleming admitted Lowestoft’s pre-season campaign had been heavily disrupted as a result although the club confirmed this week that they will travel to Brantham Athletic for a friendly on Tuesday, July 24.
“It’s very disappointing because we were basing a lot of our pre-season around it,” he added. “We wanted to finish our pre-season campaign against them and we were all really looking forward to it. Obviously I look at it from a football point of view but the chairman is right to point to the financial side of it as well. We would have expected a bumper crowd to come out and welcome back a popular player to Crown Meadow and then you have to factor in all the bar takings and that sort of thing as well.
“I hope the FA can do something about it because it is just plain wrong.”