Lowestoft Town squad deserve chance to prove themselves – Fleming

Lowestoft Town director of football Craig Fleming. Lowestoft Town director of football Craig Fleming.

By Mark Armstrong
Friday, May 30, 2014
6:28 AM

Lowestoft Town director of football Craig Fleming insists there will be no wholesale changes to the Blues squad next season.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The former Norwich City defender feels the current squad have earned the chance to show they can compete at Conference South level following their promotion from the Ryman League Premier.

Fleming is due to meet the club’s board in the next few days when a budget will be set for the next campaign but the 42-year-old warned it will not be too different to what they worked with this season.

With that in mind, Fleming is keen to keep the core of the squad in place after the club finally secured promotion at the fourth time of asking from Step Three.

“The most important thing is looking after the budget, which will be set when the board get together and we start properly planning for the next season,” he said.

“I don’t think the budget will be incredibly different and we will be looking to keep the core of the squad in place for next season.

“They are the ones that got us up and they deserve a crack at it.”

The Blues are not on the lookout for a straight replacement for Curtley Williams following his departure for Luton Town earlier this month. Jack Ainsley will be given the chance to make the right back berth his own although Fleming admits he does expect there to be some more comings and goings over the summer.

“One or two will be leaving and we are always looking to strengthen the squad when we can but there won’t be wholesale changes by any means,” said Fleming.

The Blues are likely to once again be without Jack Defty next season with the striker suffering a setback in his rehabilitation from the broken leg he suffered towards the end of the 2012/13 season.

The bone has not healed as hoped and the former King’s Lynn man could face more surgery before the end of the year.

“Jack’s recovery hasn’t gone as planned which is disappointing for the lad,” said Fleming. “He is due to have another X-ray in September and it will be taken on from there.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Eastern Daily Press visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Eastern Daily Press staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Eastern Daily Press account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT