December 23 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
King’s Lynn’s plans for next season gathered pace last night after Rob Lyon confirmed he will lead the Stars again in 2013.
The popular team boss had left the Norfolk Arena club’s fans on tenterhooks after declaring at the end of the last campaign that he was contemplating his future in the sport.
However, the popular 47-year-old has finally ended months of speculation that he may quit speedway and insisted he is as hungry as ever to spearhead a push for Elite League glory.
“I took a step back, had a think about things, and that fire is back inside me,” said Lyon, who will announce at least three of his side’s 2013 line-up at a supporters’ meeting tonight.
“We’ve tried to put together a team that is enjoyable to be around, competitive, and fun to be involved with. I wanted to bring the enjoyment back. I’d lost a bit of that last season.
“We’re going for it, no holds barred, and we want to win the league. I’m as enthusiastic as I have been for a couple of years. I’m hoping the supporters will be mega-excited by the line-up because I am.
“It will be an exciting side to watch. We’re going to have every chance of competing. I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve not been as excited as this since before the 2009 season when we had Darcy Ward on board and swept everything before us.”
Lyon, who has managed Lynn since 2005 and led the Stars’ to Premier League trebles in 2006 and 2009, said he was pleased with a number of changes made at the British Speedway Promoters’ Association’s annual meeting earlier this month.
The former Team GB manager admitted he approved of decisions made to “simplify” the doubling-up system and increase team averages from 41 to 42.5. Lyon also declared it was time to draw a line under a miserable 2012 which saw Lynn finish seventh and his plans to help Kenneth Bjerre on the Grand Prix circuit fall apart.
The team boss said: “The supporters at Lynn had lots of success in the Premier League and the first year in the Elite League. Last year things just went flat.
“The comments I made after the Peterborough meeting about quitting were not flippant or trigger-happy. That night was one in a long line of nails in the coffin. I felt so down about the way things were being run.
“I was also disappointed on a personal level that things didn’t work out with Kenneth as I was looking forward to that challenge. But it wasn’t meant to be. It’s all history now and it’s time to move on.”
Since returning to speedway’s top-flight in 2011, Lyon has won 25 of his 58 meetings in charge. His decision to stay has delighted the club’s co-promoter Jonathan Chapman.
He said: “We didn’t want Rob to go. He’s part of a very successful formula. We’re over the moon he is staying. He’s really got the bit between his teeth and we truly believe we have a shot at winning the league in 2013.”
Tonight’s meeting will be held at The Walks’ Linnet Lounge. It starts at 7.30pm.