King’s Lynn Town slide to their first defeat of the season

21:20 25 August 2014

Stamford 2 King’s Lynn Town 1

King’s Lynn Town tasted defeat in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League for the first time this season yesterday as league leaders Stamford AFC came from behind to claim all three points at a rain-drenched Kettering Road.

Defender Sam Brooks had deservedly put the visitors ahead early on but second half strikes from strikers Jordan Smith and Nabil Shariff turned the game around after it appeared for long spells that the Linnets would put to an end their Daniels away jinx.

Lynn began the game on the front foot and scored with their first real opportunity on 10 minutes.

Jake Jones won a corner which was expertly delivered by David Bell to Brooks who stole away from his marker to convert from six yards. The goal saw confidence visibly grow in the visiting ranks, with Michael Frew combining well with George Thomson which allowed for the latter to force home stopper Richard Knight to save with his legs.

Bell and Frew then joined forces, creating a headed chance for Jones, who headed wide. Thomson sent a looping header over the bar and the busy Jackson Ramm played in Frew, whose goal-bound effort was cleared by Lewis Carr’s timely tackle. Jon Challinor finally tested Alex Street in the Linnets goal right on the stroke of half-time in the hosts’ first effort - such was the visitors control.

It came as no surprise when, at the interval, Stamford’s boss, former Linnet David Staff, unleashed former Lynn player Ryan Robbins.

Robbins, so often a thorn in King’s Lynn’s side, again proved to be just that as his pace took him away from his marker to play a slide rule pass to Smith who prodded past Street to level things up.

The Linnets, to their credit, regained their composure with Thomson trying his luck from distance, warming Knight’s hands. Moments later another Bell corner picked out midfield partner David Bridges whose effort was scrambled away gratefully by the home defence.

Ramm continued to probe and a cross-cum-shot was inches away from its intended target. Ellis Myles shot wide following a mazy run and then Robbins picked out Shariff who had Street scrambling.

Then, with 20 minutes remaining, the game’s deciding goal arrived. Myles’ deep corner was left by the Lynn defence but the alert Smith kept the ball alive, allowing Shariff to stab home from close range.

Robbins then picked his way through the visiting defence only to be foiled by Street who made a fine save. At the other end Thomson’s headed attempt ended wide of its intended target and right on the stroke of full-time Robbins shot wide when clean through.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Eastern Daily Press visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Eastern Daily Press staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Eastern Daily Press account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest from the EDP


Most Read Sport

Most Commented Sport



max temp: 3°C

min temp: 2°C


Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the EDP
digital edition


Newsletter Sign Up