Diss halt Dereham’s perfect start

PUBLISHED: 16:34 01 October 2012

Dereham’s perfect start to the season was halted by a 1-1 draw at Diss – and it needed a second half penalty save to preserve the Magpies’ unbeaten record.

The visitors started strongly and Jay Eastoe-Smith had a header cleared off the line before Nicky Howell’s effort grazed the crossbar.

Dereham took the lead on 20 minutes when Luke Tuttle squared to Scott Sutherland-Gray and after his initial effort was well saved by Matthew Webster, the striker headed the loose ball in.

Diss equalised on 28 minutes as skipper Mark Shadrack crossed for the unmarked Adam Burroughs to net from close range.

In the second half, Sam Borrer hit the bar for Dereham and Tuttle smashed the ball against the post.

Diss were awarded a penalty on 63 minutes when Burroughs was pushed over in the box by Olly Willis, but former Magpie Stuart Garner’s spot kick was superbly saved by Andy Wilton.

Dereham were denied a late winner when Eastoe-Smith’s header was saved by Webster as Diss continued their improvement following a dreadful start to the season.

Wisbech took over from Dereham at the top of the table after a 3-1 win at home to Stanway Rovers.

The Fenmen fell behind to a penalty after 20 minutes, but then piled on the pressure in search of an equaliser.

It arrived on 31 minutes when a deflected shot fell to Dubi Ogbonna in the area and he slid the ball past the keeper.

Stanway were reduced to 10 men when they had a player sent off for a tackle from behind, but the score remained level until the 81st minute. Wisbech took the lead when Ollie Gale cut inside and fired a left-footed shot low into the net.

The points were sealed when Adam Millson headed in a cross from the left four minutes from time.

Gorleston lost 2-0 at Ely City, while Thetford bounced back from four successive league defeats to beat Felixstowe & Walton 2-0.

Norwich United made it three wins in a row as goals from Jordan Blyth, Steve Harley and Ian Hunter secured a 3-1 win at Woodbridge Town.

Kyle Baker scored twice for Kirkley & Pakefield, but it was not enough to prevent a 4-3 defeat at Mildenhall Town. Michael Tacon was also on target for the KP Royals.

In the First Division, Ben Boyce’s run of hot form continued as he scored both goals in Fakenham’s 2-0 success against Stowmarket.

Great Yarmouth were denied a point by a stoppage time winner at home to Newmarket.

Joel Watts gave Yarmouth the lead before the Jockeys scored twice in 10 minutes. Substitute Tom Markham’s volley restored parity, before Newmarket’s late winner.

Swaffham lost 3-0 at home to leaders Cambridge University Press and Downham drew 1-1 at home against Saffron Walden, the hosts’ goal coming from Matthew Dye.

Latest from the EDP


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Read Sport



max temp: 7°C

min temp: 1°C

Show Job Lists