Dereham Town 4, S & L Corby 1, FA Vase first round

PUBLISHED: 17:44 13 October 2012 | UPDATED: 17:47 13 October 2012

Dereham Town's Luke Tuttle. Picture: Ian Burt

Dereham Town's Luke Tuttle. Picture: Ian Burt

Archant © 2012

Dereham Town reached the second round of the FA Vase with a 4-1 victory over S & L Corby.

The Magpies responded well to the FA Cup exit in midweek and two goals from Luke Tuttle, one from Nicky Howell and a penlty from Scott Sutherland-Gray sealed a comfortable victory,

Manager Matt Henman made several changes to the side from the defeat at Met Police with a need to rest some tired legs. Defender Matt Howard was also unavailable as the home boss utilised his squad.

From the kick off the Magpies immediately settled into their passing game and were rewarded when Tuttle netted in the fourth minute.

Sam Willis found his striker with a short pass and the Dereham man was allowed to progress before beating Corby keeper David Allan with a well struck 18 yard drive.

The Magpies controlled play for the opening 15 minutes with Corby chasing the ball.

Visiting keeper Allan had to be alert to turn a dangerous Gary Starling free kick over his cross bar. However the flag kick was wasted.

Corby had their first chance in the 20th minute but Jamie O’Neil was only able to glance Milan Celito’s cross from the left wide at the far post.

O’Neil was then unable to divert a low Liam Booth cross cum shot towards Andy Wilton’s goal as the visitors threatened again.

Dereham’s play had become sloppy and they were punished when Corby equalised in the 32nd minute. After been gifted the ball cheaply Jamie O’Neil made tracks down the right before unleashing a powerful drive across Wilton with the ball nestling in the far corner of the net.

Dereham needed to up the pace again and Sutherland-Gray forced Allan into a save from a low 18 yard drive.

Aaron Kay then came within inches of giving the Magpies an interval lead when his fierce 25 yard drive ccannoned off Allan bar as it was all square at half time.

Sam Borrer replaced Sam Willis after the break.

Sutherland-Gray attacked a quality Starling cross from the left but the sped past him.

Dereham were upping the tempo and Kay delivered a centre into the box from the left towards Sutherland Gray. The striker turned and hit a low drive onto Allan’s right hand post but Howell was first to react and gleefully slammed the loose ball home to put the Magpies in front in the 57th minute.

The home side found the net again in the 62nd minute when Tuttle’s volley from Luke Hannant’s centre was half saved by Allan but the keeper was unable to prevent the ball entering his net. T

uttle was then rested with Shaun Bammmant entering proceedings.

Kay sent Borrer away down the left in the 77th minute. The Dereham man sped past his marker near the byline but was clipped as he entered the box and the referee pointed to the spot.

Sutherland-Gray confidently converted the penalty to seal victory for his side.

Dereham continued to press with Borrer hitting the post on time but could not add to their tally.

*See Monday’s EDP for reaction to the victory.

Latest from the EDP


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Read Sport

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: 0°C

Show Job Lists