July 25 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, September 27, 2012
John Terry has been banned for four matches and fined £220,000 after being found guilty of racially abusing QPR’s Anton Ferdinand by a Football Association independent regulatory commission.
The Chelsea skipper denied the charge but the commission ruled that he was guilty of misconduct during Chelsea’s Barclays Premier League defeat at QPR on October 23 last year.
The 31-year-old, who on Sunday announced his retirement from international football, can lodge an appeal against the panel’s decision.
Chelsea defender Terry is “disappointed” by the guilty verdict and will ask for detailed written reasons of the decision before deciding whether to lodge an appeal, his management company have confirmed.
Norwich City are due to take on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, October 6.
If the four-game ban comes into effect immediately then the Canaries could feel the benefit of the former England captain’s ban, although the ban would be suspended if Terry appeals within 14 days.
Terry’s representatives, Elite Management, said in a statement released on his behalf: “Mr Terry is disappointed that the FA Regulatory Commission has reached a different conclusion to the clear not guilty verdict of a court of law.
“He has asked for the detailed written reasons of the decision and will consider them carefully before deciding whether to lodge an appeal.”
A statement from his club added: “Chelsea Football Club notes and respects today’s decision by the Football Association regarding John Terry.
“We also recognise that John has the right to appeal that decision. It is therefore inappropriate for us to comment further on the matter at this time.”
An FA statement said: “An independent regulatory commission has today found a charge of misconduct against John Terry proven and has issued a suspension for a period of four matches and a fine of £220,000, pending appeal.
“The Football Association charged Mr Terry on Friday 27 July 2012 with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards Queens Park Rangers’ Anton Ferdinand and which included a reference to colour and/or race contrary to FA Rule E3 1/82 3/8 in relation to the Queens Park Rangers FC versus Chelsea FC fixture at Loftus Road on 23 October 2011.
“The charge was the result of The FA’s long-standing investigation into this matter, which was placed on hold at the request of the Crown Prosecution Service and Mr Terry’s representatives pending the outcome of the criminal trial.
“The decision of the Independent Regulatory Commission is as follows:
- Mr Terry be suspended from all domestic club football until such time as Chelsea’s First Team have completed four competitive matches
- Fined the sum of £220,000.”
“The independent regulatory commission will provide written reasons for its decision in due course. Mr Terry has the right to appeal the decision of the independent regulatory commission to an Appeal Board. An appeal must be lodged within 14 days from receipt of the written reasons for the decision.
“The penalty is suspended until after the outcome of any appeal, or the time for appealing expires, or should Mr Terry decide not to appeal. The reason for this is to ensure that the penalty does not take effect before any appeal so that Mr Terry has an effective right of appeal.”
JOHN TERRY TIMELINE
- 2011: October 23 - Releases a statement denying he made a racist slur against Anton Ferdinand during Chelsea’s defeat at QPR after videos had circulated on the internet.
- October 25 - Scotland Yard announce they are assessing allegations of racist abuse of Ferdinand by Terry after a complaint from the member of the public.
- November 1 - The Metropolitan Police confirm they have launched a formal investigation.
- November 5 - England manager Fabio Capello confirms Terry will be selected for the friendlies against Spain and Sweden.
- November 28 - Terry is interviewed under caution.
- December 1 - Scotland Yard announce they have passed a file towards to prosecutors.
- December 21 - The Crown Prosecution Service announce Terry will be charged with racially abusing Ferdinand and is due to appear before West London Magistrates’ Court on February 1, 2012.
- 2012: January 28 - The FA cancels the pre-match handshakes before the FA Cup fourth-round tie between QPR and Chelsea “to defuse further tensions” relating to the Terry-Ferdinand situation.
- February 1 - District Judge Howard Riddle orders that Terry should stand trial in the week beginning July 9 - following Euro 2012 - after hearing a number of other Chelsea players would not be able to appear as witnesses until the end of the football season.
- February 3 - Terry is stripped of the England captaincy for a second time. The decision was taken by members of the 14-strong FA board, without consulting Capello.
- February 8 - Capello resigns as England manager two days after criticising the decision to strip Terry of the captaincy.
- July 13 - Cleared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court of making a racist insult to Ferdinand.
- June 24 - Plays the full 90 minutes and extra time as England suffer more penalty heartache, losing their Euro 2012 quarter-final to Italy on penalties.
- July 27 - Charged by the FA with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards QPR defender Ferdinand. It is further alleged that this included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Ferdinand. Terry denies the charge and requests a personal hearing.
- August 30 - Recalled to England squad, after missing friendly against Sweden, for September’s World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine.
- September 9 - Withdraws from England squad for Ukraine game after picking up ankle injury in 5-0 win in Moldova.
- September 23 - Announces his retirement from international football, shortly before the start of his personal hearing to answer the FA charge.
- September 27 - Banned for four matches and fined £220,000 by an FA independent regulatory commission.