Boss Derbyshire ‘unsure’ of playing budget but believes future is bright for Great Yarmouth Town
PUBLISHED: 12:29 22 June 2012 | UPDATED: 12:42 22 June 2012
Archant © 2012
Boss Mike Derbyshire insists the future looks bright for Great Yarmouth Town - even though he is still unsure of his playing budget for next season.
The Bloaters survived going out of business by the skin of their teeth last season after a “life-saving” five-figure donation from Mike Smith, managing director and owner of oil industry support company DSL (Derrick Services UK Ltd).
However, even though the club’s future off the pitch has been secured, Derbyshire remains unaware of how much money, if any, will be given to him to build a squad that can challenge for an immediate return to the Eastern Counties (Thurlow Nunn) Premier Division.
The Town boss said: “I’m preparing in the hope that I will have some kind of budget to offer the playing squad and I can bring in some players with experience.
“But if I’m honest I don’t really know the situation. There’s hope of sponsorship and investment but they’ve all got to be sealed. I’m talking to a lot of players and there is interest, which is positive, but it depends on what we can offer.
“It’s nothing to do with greed but football is sadly all about money. My hands are tied at the moment. What we will not do though, is take any gambles.
“We will not promise things we can’t offer because the survival of the club is far more important. We will have to cut the cloth accordingly if we haven’t got the money to compete but I think people will agree the main thing is the club still exists.”
The Yarmouth boss says he will be unable to provide any financial assurances to potential recruits until he meets Bloaters chairman Colin Jones on July 1 to discuss his budget.
More than 25 players had already been involved in extra fitness sessions before Derbyshire’s outfit officially began pre-season training on Monday.
And with high-profile friendlies lined up against Norwich United (home, July 7), Hemel Hempstead Town (home, July 28), and a place in a triangular tournament at Wroxham (July 14), the Bloaters boss believes preparations for the forthcoming First Division campaign already look promising.
He said: “We’ve got a good pre-season lined-up and I think we’ll hold our own in the league, even if we end up having a youthful squad.
“We might have to lower our sights a bit about going straight back up but we’ll still play good football. We won’t launch the ball as we have a duty to entertain and do things correctly.
“The club was on the brink but now there’s hope and optimism here and a good spirit at the club - which was shown when we won our final game of last season against Newmarket.”