October 20 2014 Latest news:
Monday, August 4, 2014
A host of commemorative events will be held today in remembrance of the outbreak of the First World War.
Communities across the region have organised church services, wreath-laying and candlelit vigils to mark the beginning of the Great War 100 years ago. The commemorations will provide moments of quiet contemplation as we remember those who died in the conflict.
MONDAY AUGUST 4
• THORPE: Unveiling of plaque at River Green, 11am.
• WYMONDHAM: Light a candle at The Methodist Church, Town Green, from 4pm to 7pm, poems and readings at 7pm at the War Memorial.
• CROMER: Bishop of Lynn will partly lead a public service at the Cromer War Memorial at 11am, fundraising concert for war memorial restoration fund at 7.30pm.
• NORTH WALSHAM: Service at St Nicholas’ Church, between 11.30pm and 12.10am, 99 candles will be lit at midnight.
• AYLSHAM: War exhibition at Parish Church from 10am-5pm, candlelit service at 7.30pm. A candlelit vigil at both town war memorials from 10-11pm.
• SHERINGHAM: A commemorative service at the War Memorial at 10.45am and candlelit vigil from 10-11pm.
• STALHAM: St Mary’s church, candlelit vigil from 10-11pm.
• GREAT YARMOUTH: Family activities at Sea Life Centre Gardens, including Home Guard ‘drills’, (12.30pm), on-site field hospital, (2.30pm), 10.30pm candlelit vigil at the Minster.
• THETFORD: War is Announced event on the Market Place from 8pm.
• DEREHAM: St Nicholas Church bells will peal until 11am, keeping of a vigil by armed forces veterans until midday.
• EAST BILNEY: Short act of commemoration at St Mary at 2pm.
• SCARNING: Commemoration at St Peter and Paul in Scarning at 7.30pm.
• WELLS: At 7.30pm, service of commemoration at St Nicholas Church.
• BRUNDALL: St Laurence Church will hosts a civic occasion at 6.30pm, wreath laying.
• LODDON: Candlelit vigil at Loddon War Memorial from 10pm until 11pm.
• LOWESTOFT: The War Memorial Museum in Sparrow’s Nest Gardens, from 11.30am for visitors to see roll of honour.
• NORWICH: At The Forum events unfold at 9am with the town crier.
• ACROSS THE REGION: Lights out ceremony.
TUESDAY AUGUST 5
• BRAYDESTON AND BRUNDALL: Every day until Friday 8, exhibition themed ‘Lest We Forget’ held in Braydeston and Brundall churches.
• LOWESTOFT: St Margaret’s church, bells will peal for three hours at 9am, followed by poppy laying ceremony at 11am.
WEDNESDAY AUGUST 6
• AYLSHAM: Poetry readings and trench songs at the Town Hall at 7.30pm.