Wednesday, April 14, 2010
The border between Pakefield and Lowestoft may be a fine line, but it is important all the same.
Where is Pakefield?
The village huddles on the Suffolk clifftop, clinging to the North Sea coast like a clam to a wet stone. To the west the 200-year-old community creeps across the A12 with Lowestoft to the north and Kessingland to the south.
The village is a thriving community, complete with its own set of pubs, shops, a theatre and access to amenities and shops.
Friendly pubs, village shops, and a school add to the distinct feel of a village, rather than a suburban sprawl.
Rows of terrace houses and two distinctive churches define the village.
In the churchyard of All Saints and St Margarets church sheep can often be seen grazing and the village is criss-crossed by footpaths.
The beach is littered with fishing boats, and is accessible from several points on the cliff-top.
The name Pakefield is probably derived from Paccas or Paggas field, and was named after a local landowner.
In 1801 it had a population of 282, and 200 years later more than five times that number live in the network of quiet streets.
Pakefield was also the head of a Lowestoft tram route but in the 1930s the service was withdrawn. In 1934 the village was finally absorbed by the town, between which a fierce fishing rivalry had stood for many years.
The village has also faced a battle to stay out of the sea with several feet of land being lost a year until 1944 when the Jubilee Wall sea defence was completed. The beach is now thought to be growing.
The results of the battle with the sea can still be seen with road foundations embedded in the cliff face visible with careful inspection.