On the border between Norfolk and Suffolk it is to many little more than a road sign on the A12; but Lound has a character all of its own.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The interior of Lound Church

About Lound

Lound, like many of its sister villages along the border, lives in the shadow of Yarmouth and Lowestoft and surrounded by marshland country.

The dual-carriageway A12 linking Yarmouth with Lowestoft cuts through neighbouring countryside, but does nothing to threaten the peaceful village, which is in two parts The Street and, half a mile away, the hamlet of Back Lane.

White and brick-red cottages are scattered through the village, which gives the impression of being thrown together and carefully planned at the same time.

Painting in Lound Church

The Anglo-Catholic church, with its modest round tower and tiled roof (above), features some lavish interior furnishings (right) and is sometimes called the golden church because of the large amount of gold leaf used in the buildings decoration, designed in 1914.

The decoration also includes an unusual painting of St Christopher, (below) which includes a Rolls Royce and an airliner along with the traditional child-on-shoulders image.

The name Lound comes from the Norse Lundr, meaning a grove in a plain.

Everything a traditional village should provide is here including a village pond complete with resident ducks.

Painting in Lound Church

Mardle is an old Suffolk word meaning pond or general conversation. The double-meaning comes from the days when people would meet by the pond for a chat.

0 comments

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT