March 12 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Bustling Ixworth has been settled since Roman times and has a High Street jam-packed with character
Where is Ixworth?
East of Bury St Edmunds, just off the A143.
Ixworth is full of character, with its wobbly medieval houses, and a handful of good shops and restaurants.
Most visitors come here to just soak up the atmosphere; on a summer day you can stand on the bridge and watch the river Blackbourne meandering through the village, or have a pint at the Pickerel and watch the world go by.
On one side of the High Street is pretty medieval St Marys Church, which houses several interesting Tudor tombs; on the other is the village hall, which houses a good library.
History of Ixworth
Archaeologists have found evidence of a Roman fort here and Ixworth was a sizeable Roman settlement.
Its thought it was built in the reign of Emperor Nero, between AD54 and AD68.
By the Middle Ages most villagers were farmers in 1283 some rose up in protest against their lord.
After the Black Death, as populations fell, the village grew prosperous; a regular market was introduced and a kiln producing bricks and tiles opened.
This wealth can be seen in some key buildings built at the time, like Dover House and the Pickerel Inn.
Later the village came under the rule of the local Augustinian priory, founded in 1170. The priory remains can still be seen although theyre not open to the public.