Windpump was the last of its kind in Britain
11:44 20 February 2014
In the first of a new Down Memory Lane series on local windmills and wind pumps, EDP librarian Rosemary Dixon reflects on St Olaves Mill on the banks of the Waveney.
Erected in 1860 and built by the millwrighting firm of Englands, the attractive little smock drainage windpump was the last of its kind in Britain.
The tower was made of timber instead of brick, but by 1974 it presented a forlorn appear-ance, as our photo shows. Despite some remedial work in the early 1950s, by the mid-70s the mill had lost its sails and the white fantail was a sorry sight.
Work began in late 1974 to restore it on behalf of the Suffolk Preservation Society. Mr Philip Lennard of Rickling, Saffron Walden was contracted for the first stage restoration work, having worked on Stracey Arms, St Benet’s Level and Billingford.
The first stage of work was scheduled to last until the New Year.
If any reader has any further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Rosemary Dixon, EDP librarian, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE. Copies of this photograph, C13079, can be obtained from EDP offices.
The region in pictures – for more nostalgia pictures see www.edp24.co.uk/buyaphoto Copies of all pictures taken by EDP photographers which appear on this page are available for sale.