King’s Lynn flood threat latest: Trains delayed due to winds

PUBLISHED: 16:57 05 December 2013 | UPDATED: 16:57 05 December 2013

A sign warns drivers of expected flooding on the South Quay, in King's Lynn.

A sign warns drivers of expected flooding on the South Quay, in King's Lynn.


King’s Lynn is preparing for flooding after the Environment Agency issued an amber warning for the area along the River Ouse.

Force seven winds are predicted and the tide could rise as high as 5.83m.

The Environment Agency has forecast a 1.5m surge.

West Norfolk Borough Council are asking people to move their vehicles from the South Quay by 3pm or risk them being trapped as the Environment Agency closes flood gates.

The West Lynn Ferry, which runs from Ferry Lane in King’s Lynn to Ferry Square in West Lynn, will be closed all day.

Owner Gail Kingston said: “We have shut for the day. The Environment Agency will be shutting the flood boards and one is where we drop people off.

“If we take people over we won’t be able to bring them back.

“We will also be moving the boat to moor at the new pontoons. With such a big tide our buoys might not be able to hold it.”

First Capital Connect have warned that trains could be delayed between Downham Market and Littleport due to high winds.

Some trains may be delayed by up to 12 minutes as trains are required to run at a reduced speed.

Restaurant Marriott’s Warehouse, which is on the South Quay, will be remaining open.

Restaurant manager Shannon Durrant said: “We’ve been contacted by the Environment Agency. We are going to stay open as we have an entrance at the back.

“We have been told that in the past people in the building have had a sort of lock in so we are going to be braving it out.

“I am just trying to contact people to let them know that they will have to park on St Margaret’s rather than the quay.”

Bank House Hotel will also be remaining open however to deal with the risk of flooding its wine supplies have been placed on stilts.

Owner Jeannette Goodrich said: “We have very big cellars, in which we keep the wine, which are a risk for flooding.

“So we are moving the wine.

“We have been very lucky over the past few years and haven’t had any problems at all.

“We will warn our guests, although they are safely upstairs and if anyone is brave enough to come and eat will be open.”

Contingency plans are being put in place to divert ambulances from the Boston are to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital should Boston’s Pilgrim Hospital be affected by the flooding.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 3°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast