December 9 2013 Latest news:
Friday, October 4, 2013
A forklift truck driver claims he was served a portion of KFC chips containing a live caterpillar.
Lewis Hunter, 21, said he went to the fast food outlet in Gorleston High Street with his sister Courtney, 17, last Friday evening.
They bought three takeaway meals - with the third for his girlfriend Katie Howard, 18 - and returned to his flat two minutes up the road to plate them up.
But to his horror he said what they first thought was a “burnt chip” began to wriggle.
Miss Howard explained: “Lewis was dishing it out and I said it was a caterpillar.
“He poked it and then it was crawling over our chips.
“I felt physically sick after that.
“We took it back.”
They had ordered a Wicked Zinger meal, Boneless Banquet and Toasted Twister meal at around 7.30pm.
And when Mr Hunter went with his girfriend to return the food and complain, he alleged they were just offered a replacement for the bag of chips.
“It felt like they wanted to get us out as fast as they could,” he added. “There was a queue out of the door.
“We were disgusted. It’s put us off and we wouldn’t eat there again.
“It was just rude.
“I asked for a refund and they kept looking over at us like we were in the wrong.
“They asked for the receipt after we were there five minutes ago.”
He said the store manager did not speak to them to apologise and they were not offered any form of compensation, but eventually secured a full refund.
Mr Hunter said he used to eat at the outlet around twice per week before the incident.
A KFC spokesman said: “Although we have been unable to find any evidence to support Mr Hunter’s allegation, as a gesture of goodwill he was offered, and accepted, a full refund.
“Our preparation and cooking procedures make it highly unlikely that anything irregular could find its way into any of the food we produce and on its most recent food safety inspection carried out by environmental health officers our Gorleston restaurant achieved the top food hygiene rating of five, meaning that the business was found to have very good hygiene standards.”