Police said this afternoon that they believe a “domestic incident” led to the tragic death of a woman found in the River Bure near Salhouse Broad on Sunday.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Police said this afternoon that they believe a “domestic incident” led to the tragic death of a woman found in the River Bure near Salhouse Broad on Sunday.

A man whose body was found in a river on the Norfolk Broads close to his deceased girlfriend has been named by national media as John Didier, who is believed to be from the US.

Mr Didier is said to be an NHS worker who has family links to Arkansa in the US.

Norfolk police have declined to confirm or deny the claims.

Det Supt Jes Fry, heading the inquiry being carried out by the joint Norfolk and Suffolk major investigation team, said it was believed she was dead when she went into the water.

Police also said the cause of death was asphyxiation, probably due to strangulation.

The death of her partner, whose body was also recovered by police divers, is not being treated as suspicious. He is believed to have drowned.

A police inquiry was launched late on Saturday after a holiday cruiser was found moored at a quiet spot with just a 13-year-old girl on board. Police confirmed the trio, a mother and daughter and her partner, had come on holiday from Surrey.

Det Supt Fry said today that the girl had been interviewed by specialist officers: “Her welfare has been our paramount concern from the outset,” he added.

The girl, who was taken into protective custody on Saturday night, is now being supported by relatives.

Names have yet to be released, pending formal identification of the bodies of the man and woman, both thought to be in their 40s.

The family had hired the cruiser, Admiral, from the Le Boat yard in Ferry View Road, Horning,

A spokesman for the company confirmed they had holidayed with Le Boat on the Broads on several previous occasions.

He said: “Le Boat contacted the Broads Authority at 5pm on Saturday to alert them that a hire boat had not been returned to the site. A search was subsequently launched of the surrounding area.

“Le Boat continues to cooperate fully with the police in their inquiries. As the investigation is on-going, we cannot comment further on any details regarding this incident.

“Our thoughts are first and foremost with the family involved at this distressing time.”

Mystery surrounds how long the craft had been moored at the quiet inlet opposite Salhouse Little Broad where it was found.

Some river users suggested it may have been there for several days with the curtains strangely closed even during the heat of the day.

Det Supt Fry said that officers were working on a timeline of events and continuing to interview witnesses.

Meanwhile, workers and tourists on The Broads were still adjusting to the tragedy this morning as normality slowly returned.

Tom Heaffey, who works at Horning’s Ferry Inn, said: “There is still a sense of shock in the village and people mooring up are still asking lots of questions about what’s happened.”

Peter Reeve, the yard manager at Horning Ferry marina, said he had heard that the family’s boat had been moored in the same position for a “considerable time” before the teenager was found alone. He said his customers had expressed sadness about the loss of life.

Tobi Baker, the countryside ranger at Salhouse Broad, said things had largely returned to normal today, as a lot of new customers had picked up their boats on Monday who had not heard about the tragedy.




Norfolk Weather



max temp: 9°C

min temp: 6°C

Five-day forecast