Update: Felmingham electric shock man needs surgery
PUBLISHED: 16:19 30 April 2014
A man who suffered a severe electric shock while working on a north Norfolk farm will need surgery, police have said today.
The victim, a sub-contractor in his mid-40s, was airlifted to a specialist burns unit at the Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, after yesterday’s accident, which happened at about 2pm.
He had come into contact with a high-voltage cable on farmland belonging to LF Papworth Ltd, off Church Lane, Felmingham.
A second man was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital by land ambulance with non life-threatening injuries.
Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive arrived at the scene later in the afternoon to begin an investigation.
Papworth family spokesman Jim Papworth said the man had been drilling a borehole when the accident happened. The business’ own health and safety officer had been on site at the time.
According to UK Power Networks a lorry brought down the overhead electricity line, cutting supplies to more than 800 village homes.
About 200 were still without power at 6.30pm on Tuesday.
Mr Papworth expressed sympathy for the victim, who has not been named.
“There is very little we can say at the moment. The whole business is feeling sympathy and hoping the gentleman concerned, who was a sub-contractor, is going to be OK,” he said.
The vehicle involved had been on site for several months. The man was treated and sedated at the scene for about an hour by road and East Anglian Air Ambulance crew before being airlifted.