November 27 2014 Latest news:
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Chapelfield shopping centre is open for business again this morning after it was evacuated following a fire alarm yesterday afternoon.
An announcement made over the public address system shortly before 3pm warned shoppers to leave the mall as there was an emergency.
Four fire crews arrived from Sprowston, Carrow, Earlham and Wroxham, and found the alarm was triggered by residual smoke caused by the overheating of machinery.
Police were also called and stationed at the mall’s entrances to stop anyone going in.
The centre remained closed until 5.15pm while firefighters checked the building, but is open again as usual this morning.
A spokesman for Chapelfield said: “We can confirm that there was a small incident at Chapelfield on Saturday afternoon resulting in an evacuation of the centre just before 3pm.
“The Fire Service attended and worked closely with the Chapelfield team to investigate and safely resolve the incident, which was triggered by the overheating of machinery. No one was injured, but unfortunately due to residual smoke still being present in the centre we were not able to allow anyone back in until 5.15pm.
“As always the safety of our shoppers and staff is of the utmost importance and we would like to thank them all for their help and patience. We would also like to thank the emergency services for their invaluable assistance. Shops, cafes and restaurants were all open again by 5.30pm on Saturday and it is business as usual today.”