Premier Inn, Lowestoft.

Update Business as usual after Lowestoft hotel evacuated after fire breaks out in bedroom

Wednesday, December 12, 2012
12.57 PM

A Lowestoft hotel was evacuated last night after a fire broke out in a bedroom.

Guests were forced to leave the Premier Inn in Yarmouth Road after the blaze broke out just after 9.30pm on Tuesday

Three crews – two from Lowestoft South fire station and one from Lowestoft North – were called to the hotel which was near to capacity, and found one of the rooms was well alight and severely smoke-logged. Firefighters donned breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze, which was put by 10pm.

Guests were put up for several hours in the neighbouring Foxburrow Beefeater Grill.

The cause of the fire has been traced to a fuse-box in a bedroom.

Guests were checking in and out as normal this morning.

In February hotel chain Premier Inn announced a £1.8million extension to its Lowestoft site.

The work at the hotel saw the number of rooms increase from 60 to 99.

Premier Inn, which is part of the Whitbread group, said the investment would lead to another four jobs being created at the hotel, which opened its new bedrooms to guests on March 5, bringing the number of staff up to 72.