Update: Man who was set on fire in Great Yarmouth bar transferred to specialist burns unit

PUBLISHED: 18:14 06 April 2014 | UPDATED: 18:15 06 April 2014

Britannia Pier in Great Yarmouth.

Picture: James Bass

Britannia Pier in Great Yarmouth. Picture: James Bass

(C) Archant Norfolk 2013

Investigations are ongoing after a 34-year-old man suffered serious burns after being ‘set alight’ at a bar in Great Yarmouth.

Police received a call at about 1.30am today following reports of a disturbance involving a group of men at Long John’s Bar on Britannia Pier.

It is understood that a 34 year old, visiting Norfolk from the Sheffield area, was set alight.

He suffered serious burns to his hands and torso.

He was initially taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston and has now been transferred to the Broomfield specialist burns unit in Chelmsford. He is described as currently being in a serious but non life-threatening condition.

The four men arrested, aged 24, 26, 28, and 33, are also from the Sheffield area.

They were taken to Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre for questioning and were this afternoon released on bail pending further enquiries.

Police have confirmed that all the individuals involved, including the victim, are known to one another and this is being treated as an isolated incident with no wider threat to the community.

Enquiries continue into the incident to establish the exact circumstances and any witnesses who have not yet been spoken to or anyone who as knowledge of the incident should contact Great Yarmouth CID on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Three of the men have been bailed to return to Yarmouth police station in late May, while the 28 year old is due back in early June.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: -0°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast