‘The system failed him in the most catastrophic way’ – Father’s anger at mental health over son’s suicide

PUBLISHED: 07:00 17 October 2013 | UPDATED: 13:03 17 October 2013

Michael Knight, who died on August 28, 2012, at the age of 20. Picture from YouTube tribute video at

Michael Knight, who died on August 28, 2012, at the age of 20. Picture from YouTube tribute video at


A grieving father has hit out at a mental health trust for letting down his son in the days before he killed himself.

‘Decisions were based on expertise’ - trust response

Roz Brooks, director of nursing and patient safety at Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust, said: “I would like to extend our sincerest condolences to Michael Knight’s family.

“We recognise the tragedy and loss of all those affected by his death including the staff involved in his care. These members of staff made decisions about Michael’s care based on their clinical knowledge and expertise.

“By following the code of practice which supports the Mental Health Act, Michael could not be compulsorily admitted or detained against his wishes.

“Therefore, he maintained the right to choose his treatment options including an informal admission.”

Since April 1, NSFT has operated a total of 355 mental health beds in Norfolk, of which 173 are for acute admissions for sectionings under the Mental Health Act.

Following Mr Knight’s death a serious investigation report was compiled, which found that staff followed the “right pathways”. It said an acute bed would have been found for Mr Knight if he had been sectioned.

A specialist pilot scheme aimed at the “problem” age of 18 to 25-year-old has since been made permanent and staff have been told to obtain mobile phone numbers for family of patients, so that they can be updated quickly if situations change, such as beds becoming available.

Andrew Knight pleaded with mental health workers to section his son, Michael, after he had made two suicide bids last summer.

The 20-year-old eventually agreed to be admitted voluntarily into hospital on August 28, only to find out that no bed was available in Norfolk, where he wanted to stay, and he would have to wait until the next day.

When mental health workers told him a bed had become free that evening, he asked to wait until the following the day as planned, but confronted the prospect of having to “finally face his demons”, his father said, and hanged himself.

Psychiatrists assessed Mr Knight on August 26 and again on August 28, both times deciding against sectioning him, though they persuaded him to be admitted voluntarily to calm his increasingly erratic behaviour.

‘The system failed Michael in the most catastrophic way’

Michael Knight’s father, Andrew, spoke out following the verdict, holding the mental health trust responsible for the tragedy and paying tribute to his son.

“The way I see it is that they are responsible. Michael was in their care,” he said.

“Myself, my family and anybody else can see that the system failed us - and it failed Michael, in the most catastrophic way.

“I pleaded with them to section him. If you look at the way he was behaving, it was a crisis, and a bed would have been found for him and made available.

“I asked them: does he have to commit suicide before you will take this seriously?

“And I asked the doctor if he was going to take responsibility if he succeeded.

“Even we were fooled at the last minute by Michael’s condition. We felt a bit of relief, only to come back and find Michael dead.”

Mr Knight described his son as a kind person, with a strong artistic streak.

“He was a very talented artist, and had just won a scholarship to study art in Aberdeen.

“He had a good heart in him, he was a lovely chap. All the kids loved him - he was just that kind of person. Everybody loved him.”

At an inquest in Norwich yesterday, coroner Jacqueline Lake said the indecision over his admission had made Mr Knight’s mental health situation worse, concluding that he “took his own life while the balance of his mind was disturbed and while in the care of the mental health services.”

She said: “The tragedy in this case is the fact that, after having gained Michael’s agreement to accept voluntary inpatient care, a bed was not then available.

“I’m of the view that the situation was then exacerbated by the to-ing and fro-ing which then took place with regard to a bed becoming free, but only for a very short period of time before it was then unavailable.”

Mr Knight had worried his parents with his unpredictable behaviour in the months before his death, which included a drunken suicide attempt while living in Aberdeen, and one occasion when he threatened to set himself alight.

He moved from Scotland, where he had been living with his mother, to live with his father in Newton Street, Newton St Faith, in July 2012.

Struggling to deal with a relationship break-up, he invented stories of being ill and of being pursued by a gang in Scotland.

In assessments psychiatrists said Mr Knight did not show signs of depressive or psychotic behaviour, though he was prescribed medication to calm his mood.

Acting consultant psychiatrist Dr Ali Rahim Abdul told the inquest Mr Knight had not declared any intention to kill himself, but that admission to hospital would not have solved his problems.

“We didn’t have clear, easy solution to it,” he said. “The risk would have remained if he had come into hospital.”


  • If there had been a bed he would not have died. It is that simple, whatever mealymouthed Mrs Brooks says. Doctors cannot section a person who agrees to come in voluntarily and those patients have needs just as great. The problem is beds and staff, not the Mental Health Act. And these idiots, running their wards with temporary staff whilst making hundreds of qualified staff redundant and alienating those who remain, plan to cut beds still further as every manager acquires a deputy and every board member gets a PA. A disgrace.

    Report this comment


    Friday, October 18, 2013

  • This letter is in response to the 2 articles in the EDP, pages 5 & 10, of Thursday 17th October 2013 regarding the inquest into my grandson, Michael Knight's death and the article on Norman Lamb. Distress and heartache at the loss of our beautiful Michael On behalf of my daughter, Michael's brother and myself, I would like to say how angry, distressed and heartbroken we all are over the loss of my beautiful grandson, Michael Knight, who died by suicide on 28th August 2012 in Norfolk. Michael was completely let down by the Mental Health Services both in Aberdeen and Norfolk. He was a troubled young man in crisis with a history of self harm and suicide attempts. For the last 7 weeks of his life he was under the care of Norfolk & Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust (the Trust) as an out patient. The Trust failed to acknowledge the real and significant risk Michael was under. Despite pleas from his mother and father for him to get the help he so desperately needed, the services (Aberdeen & Norfolk) refused to act appropriately to these requests. Even though the Trust knew that Michael's mental health was deteriorating quite rapidly, they continued to refuse him admission to hospital until that last fateful day. Dr Abdul was quoted in your report into the inquest of Michael's death as saying "Michael did not declare his intention to kill himself" - how many suicidal people tell anyone what they are planning to do!!! Michael was seen by 4 people from the Trust on 28th August 2012. Although he agreed to informal admission, when a bed became available. the incredable sequence of events that unfolded that evening, were astounding. 2 of the Trust members were informed that a bed had become available that night and even after establishing that Michael was on his own, proceeded to tell him about this bed. The tragic outcome, as we all know, was that Michael took his life - in our opinion, out of fear of actually being taken to hospital. With reference to EDP's article about Norman Lamb MP, he is quoted as saying "the standard of mental health services in England are "unacceptable"" I first tried to make contact with Norman Lamb after seeing him on the BBC3 programme "Failed By The NHS" which was screened on Monday 29th July 2013. On this programme Norman Lamb said that he was willing to meet with anyone "if they are up for it". I was completely -"fobbed off", leaving me with the opinion that Norman Lamb himself is not "up for it". Even Michael himself said that no-one will listen and Michael's mother certainly found this the case, time and time again. Too many cases before Coroner's Courts are demonstrating how suicide victims and their families feel no-one is listening and in the end a life is lost when, with appropriate help, that life may have been saved. European Human Rights - Right To Life states - "everyone's right to life shall be protected by Law". One example being - "people known to the authorities to be at real and immediate risk". We will always be angry about the lack of support from the Mental Health Services, especially when Michael was so obviously in such a distressed and vulnerable state. There is a real need for proper support systems around people who are feeling suicidal, and their families. Michael was a talented artist who was due to start at Aberdeen Art College in August 2012, alas he never made it. Michael was a loving and much loved son, brother, grandson and friend. There is a huge hole in our lives which can never be repaired. Margaret Grubb (grandmother of Michael Knight)

    Report this comment


    Saturday, October 19, 2013

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site


Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Commented

Latest from the EDP

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 12°C

min temp: 7°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the EDP
digital edition