May 24 2013 Latest news:
Sunday, March 3, 2013
The Queen has been admitted to hospital with symptoms of gastroenteritis, Buckingham Palace has said.
She had been due to visit Rome for two days this week, but the trip has been cancelled.
A Palace spokesman said: “The Queen is being assessed at the King Edward VII’s Hospital, London, after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.
“As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or cancelled.”
The Queen had been due to attend a celebration in Swansea this weekend during the city’s St David’s Day celebrations, but that visit was cancelled on Friday night.
The Queen, who is 86, has undertaken a number of engagements during the last week. On Tuesday she met the Archbishop of Canterbury at Buckingham Palace, and on Thursday she presented a host of Olympic stars with honours during an investiture ceremony.
Last month, the Queen officially opened a £3m MRI scanning suite at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn.
She made the short journey from Sandringham for her visit to the hospital named in honour of her late mother.
Terrorism returned to the streets of London today as two suspected Muslim fanatics butchered a man in broad daylight in the name of “Allah”.
max temp: 9°C
min temp: 8°C