December 19 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
A city teenager could be facing jail after pleading guilty to making a hoax bomb threat concerning Norwich’s Castle Mall shopping centre.
Luke Brown, 18, from Arnold Miller Road, admitted communicating false information to Norfolk Constabulary that there was a bomb in the food court at the shopping centre on March 6, when he appeared at Norwich Crown Court today.
Brown was released on bail and the case was adjourned for reports to June 6.
Michael Clare, for Brown, said: “This is a potentially serious matter, but he’s 18, of previously good character. and we have been made aware that there might be mental health issues. In my submission, custody is not necessarily inevitable.
“We have already contacted his GP to get a report; a psychiatric report would be helpful for everyone. Depending on what the GP says, we might explore that further.”
Mr Clare said that the teenager was not a danger to the public or a sophisticated criminal.
“This is something of a one-off offence,” he said.
The teenager lives with his mother who accompanied him to court.
Judge Stephen Holt told Brown that the case was being adjourned for reports.
He said: “The court needs to know more about you from probation services.
“This is a very serious matter and custody seems to me pretty likely.”