June 19 2013 Latest news:
Monday, January 28, 2013
Suffolk Trading Standards is warning consumers about unsafe USB chargers that risk causing a fire or an electric shock to users.
A retailer with stores across Suffolk and Essex had been selling the chargers, which have been found not to comply with the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations.
The chargers are white and marked ‘Emerson Network Power’ with the model number ‘A1299’ and a ‘Made in China ‘ label.
A consumer in Suffolk who recently purchased one of the products reported that smoke had started coming out of the charger before it then exploded and split.
The retailer is now co-operating with Trading Standards and has issued a voluntary product recall and is offering refunds to consumers who purchased the chargers from the store.
Councillor Colin Spence, Suffolk County Council’s cabinet member for public protection said; “If people have bought this product they should stop using it immediately. People may be tempted to buy cheap chargers, but for the sake of a few pounds I would urge consumers to purchase from reputable suppliers.
“Trading Standards continue to work with retailers to ensure they sell safe products and to remove any products that pose a risk to the public.”
If anyone believes they may have bought one of the chargers, they should call Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 08454 0405 06.
Police are investigating the death of a woman whose body was found in a garden pond today.
max temp: 25°C
min temp: 15°C