September 22 2014 Latest news:
Friday, June 13, 2014
Southwold High Street was closed today (Friday, June 13) after workmen discovered a leaking gas pipe.
Police received reports of a major gas leak in the former launderette, adjacent to Costa Coffee, at about 11.15am.
Builders carrying out work at the property had discovered a leaking gas pipe and had already alerted Transco and the National Grid.
Officers closed High Street to vehicles and pedestrians from its junction with Victoria Street up to Southwold Police Station.
Nearby buildings, including the Crown Hotel, were evacuated.
Transco and National Grid arrived shortly after midday followed by a specialist repair team at 1pm.
The road was reopened at 1.10pm
Roger Smith, National Grid supervisor, said: “After a call to the National Grid emergency helpline number today at 11.13am, our engineers went to a gas leak at High Street, Southwold, to repair and make safe a gas service pipe.
“Safety is vital and as a precaution the police evacuated the houses and closed the High Street while our engineers repaired the pipe and made it safe. “Our engineers arrived on site at 12.06pm and completed the repair at 3.30pm.
“We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.”