Safety warning after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Shipdham

Emergency services were called to the house in Shipdham Emergency services were called to the house in Shipdham

Monday, December 2, 2013
3:58 PM

Norfolk Fire Service issued a safety warning today after smoke from a kitchen Aga caused four people to be taken to hospital.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Emergency services were called to a house on Watton Road at around 10.15am today after carbon monoxide was released in to the house in Shipdham after “excessive” smoke from the Aga.

Fire crews from Watton, Dereham, Hingham and the Urban Search and Rescue went to a house after reports of a fire.

Two men and two women were taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and were said to be awake and conscious.

Doug Underwood, community safety team manager for Norfolk Fire and Rescue said because carbon monoxide is odourless and colourless, it can be difficult to detect a leak.

“One of the most important ways of minimising the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home is to make sure your appliances are regularly maintained and serviced - whether it’s a boiler, water heater, fire or an Aga,” he said.

“We would also recommending installing a carbon monoxide detector.”

Early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning to look out for are headaches, drowsiness and the face becoming a distinctive cherry red colour.

If anyone suspects carbon monoxide poisoning in their home, it is advised to open windows, get outside and call 999.

For more information about safety at home, including about carbon monoxide, visit www.norfolkfireservice.gov.uk

1 comment

  • If people can afford an Aga they should be prepared to fork out on a service at regular intervals.

    Report this comment

    samphirelover

    Monday, December 2, 2013

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Norfolk Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 14°C

min temp: 11°C

Five-day forecast

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT