Royal Estate at Sandringham will not face prosecution over lawnmower accident in which man plunged into a lake close to Queen’s Norfolk retreat
Archant © 2012
The Health and Safety Executive will not be taking any further action over an accident on the Royal Estate in which a man was trapped in a lake under a ride-on mower.
The estate worker, who was in his 30s, was pulled from the Lower Lake near Sandringham House by rescuers on July 8, after the machine he was driving plunged into the water.
The drama happened half an hour after the Queen met members of the Welsh Corgi League at a private engagement in the nearby Walled Garden.
Police officers battled to resuscitate the man, who had been underwater for a number of minutes. He was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, where his condition was described as critical, but has since made a full recovery.
Officials from the Health and Safety Executive launched an investigation into the accident. Tonight, a spokesman for the HSE said: “We have now concluded our investigation as there is no evidence of breaches of health and safety legilation. The case is now closed from the HSE’s point of view.”
At the time Buckingham Palace said the Queen was aware of the accident on the lake and being kept informed of developments. But neither the palace or the estate would comment on the accident.
Police and other emergency services were called to the lake, which is between the estate offices and Sandringham House, at around 1.30pm. The first officers on the scene gave the man CPR before paramedics arrived.