Search

Free with the EDP and Evening News on Friday - 56-page Wembley Souvenir Picture Special Pink Un

Rolf Harris guilty of sex attacks, including one on girl he met in Norfolk

16:43 30 June 2014

Rolf Harris. Picture: Nick Ansell/PA Wire

Rolf Harris. Picture: Nick Ansell/PA Wire

Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris saw his decades in the spotlight end in disgrace today as he was found guilty of indecent assault.

shares

The 84-year-old, once a much-loved artist and musician, was convicted at Southwark Crown Court of 12 sex charges involving four women.

Earlier in the trial jurors heard from a girl from a Norfolk village who alleged Harris had indecently assaulted her on a number of occasions.

The girl, a teenage friend of his daughter, said that on one occasion Harris had even abused her while the girls shared a bedroom.

She told the court that the veteran entertainer began abusing her when she was 13, and he appeared to get “a thrill” out of carrying out assaults while his own daughter was present.

She said that she kept the alleged abuse secret for years, frightened that nobody would believe her, but finally confessed to her parents in her late 20s

Harris’ army of supporters, including suited security guards and representatives from PR giant Bell Pottinger who attended every day of the trial, could do nothing to change the verdict of the jury of six men and six women.

Once seen by a UK audience as a national treasure, Harris had enjoyed years of success, netting him a multi-million pound fortune and the chance to paint the Queen.

But the downfall of an entertainer who was part of millions of British childhoods came today, as Harris became the biggest scalp claimed by detectives from high profile sex crime investigation Operation Yewtree.

Dozens more alleged victims have come forward during the trial, including several in Australia, and Scotland Yard has been in touch with their counterparts in the Australian police, but it is not yet clear whether they are pursuing any investigation in Harris’s home country.

The NSPCC said it has received 28 calls relating to Harris to date, involving 13 people who claim they fell prey to the performer.

The performer was released on bail until Friday when he will be sentenced.

Justice Sweeney warned the 84-year-old that given the conviction on all 12 counts it was “inevitable” that a custodial sentence would be possible.

“He must understand that”, he said, to which Harris’s barrister Sonia Woodley replied: “He does appreciate that”.

shares

Most Read

Campaigns

Most Commented

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 10°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the EDP
digital edition

Subscribe

Broads Outdoor Festival

cover

Enjoy the Broads
Outdoor Festival
digital edition

Read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Enjoy the Eating Out
in the Broads
digital edition

Read

Great Days Out

cover

Enjoy the Great Days
Out digital edition

Read