January 25 2015 Latest news:
Monday, September 1, 2014
Residents packed into a council meeting to vent their concerns over a move to close an historic right of way in Attleborough.
A 75-strong public gallery told Attleborough town councillors plans by Norfolk Homes to build 91 homes on Bracken Drive and pedestrianise neighbouring Carver’s Lane would result in other streets becoming clogged with traffic and used as “rat runs.”
A lack of consultation was also raised by residents at tonight’s town hall meeting, to which representatives from the developer and the Highways Agency were also invited, but nobody turned up.
One resident said: “As a resident of Carver’s Lane, I am surprised that we have not been individually notified.”
However, Richard Middleton, who chaired the planning and highways committee meeting, said the consultation problems had been raised with Norfolk Homes representatives, who said they had spoken to “all the people that needed to be consulted.”
The secluded lane, which dates back to the 1700s, is often used by emergency services avoiding town centre congestion and a lack of access for emergency crews was another issue raised on the night.
The three roads residents’ feared could have to take the traffic from Carver’s Lane were Bryony Way, West Carr Road and Honeysuckle Way.
Mr Middleton pledged to reflect the views of the local residents when the council makes its final recommendation to Norfolk County Council, which is responsible for making the Traffic Regulation Order to allow the closure.