May 25 2013 Latest news:
Friday, March 1, 2013
A public consultation could be held on controversial plans to cut mental health services in Norfolk and Suffolk.
The Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust launched a consultation last year with staff and partner agencies on its proposals to cut 502 posts in Norfolk and Suffolk – prompting fears that front-line doctors could be cut by a third.
More than 700 people responded to the trust’s consultation – which ended last month – with opinions expressed on how it could continue to provide safe, effective services within its available funding.
But now managers say the wider public could be given a chance to view their concerns and thoughts on the proposed cuts.
Kathy Chapman, the trust’s director of operations, said: “We are also discussing our proposals with a joint health overview and scrutiny committee for Norfolk and Suffolk county councils and these discussions include plans for public consultation.”
Overall, the mental health trust is planning to cut 502 out of 2,128 posts and 20pc of its inpatient beds by 2016 across Norfolk and Suffolk in order to balance its books.
The organisation hopes to avoid any compulsory redundancies through natural wastage, voluntary redundancies and retraining staff.
The proposed cuts are a result of the trust facing up to the prospect of cutting 5pc from its budget every year over the next four years because of a reduction in NHS funding.
It is feared part of the plans could see about 100 jobs going on the east coast and all acute beds closed at either Carlton Court Hospital in Carlton Colville or at Northgate Hospital in Great Yarmouth.
Bob Blizzard, Labour’s prospective parliamentary candidate for Waveney, has campaigned to save the beds.
He said: “People and patients have a right to have their say.”
Terrorism returned to the streets of London today as two suspected Muslim fanatics butchered a man in broad daylight in the name of “Allah”.
max temp: 13°C
min temp: 9°C