Popular family doctor dies after suffering 80pc burns
PUBLISHED: 14:17 27 February 2013 | UPDATED: 09:31 28 February 2013
A popular family doctor has died after suffering 80pc burns from a bonfire accident at his home.
Dr Darryl Peel, of Huntingfield, near Halesworth, died yesterday after being in an induced coma for more than two weeks.
The 51-year-old father-of-three suffered severe burns on Wednesday, February 6 after trying to light a garden bonfire that had been primed with petrol.
He was flown to the specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford and had been in an induced coma, but sadly died yesterday afternoon.
Dr Charles Wright, of Framlingham Surgery, where he worked, said: “Our thoughts are with his wife Susie, and their three teenage children at this very sad time. Dr Peel will be missed greatly by both staff and patients at the surgery.”
Dr Peel had previously worked at Cutlers Hill Surgery, in Halesworth, for 10 years until 2003.
For more tributes see the EDP and Beccles & Bungay Journal.