Work starts on clearing former Sanyo television factory site in Lowestoft

10:07 18 February 2014

SITE CLEARANCE: Work is under way at the former Sanyo factory site in Lowestoft to prepare it for redevelopment with up to 350 new homes.  picture: NICK BUTCHER

SITE CLEARANCE: Work is under way at the former Sanyo factory site in Lowestoft to prepare it for redevelopment with up to 350 new homes. picture: NICK BUTCHER

©Archant 2013

Work got under way on clearing the former Sanyo television factory in Lowestoft ahead of the finalisation of a major deal to build hundreds of homes on the site.


Contractors from Norfolk-based Tim Philpot Demolition have moved onto the site off School Road to install security fencing and clear an access road on behalf of Sanyo which still owns the land.

The work is being carried out ahead of the proposed hand-over of the former factory to Waveney District Council, which is purchasing the land for about £2.4m for redevelopment with up to 350 new homes.

The arrival of the contractors comes as Sanyo prepares to exchange contracts with the council for the 20-acre site.

Once the final contracts are signed and Waveney pays a deposit, Sanyo will then give the go-ahead for the demolition of buildings which were once home to its television production lines.

A Sanyo spokesman said the extra fencing was being put up after several break-ins and raves at the site, and to also separate a large area of greenery from buildings which are due to be knocked down once the contract has been signed.

The Sanyo spokesman added: “We are at the stage where the contract is being prepared. We are doing it (the hand-over contract process) as quickly as we can.”

The workmen from Tim Philpot Demolition have also cleared an overgrown double-width access road.

This follows an ecological survey of the site and a check for any unexploded bombs or munitions from the Second World War.

Last September, Waveney and Sanyo had struck a preliminary deal over the land, which had been earmarked for homes under the council’s Area Action Plan that seeks to regenerate the area around Lake Lothing.

As part of the deal, Sanyo has agreed to clear the site and demolish the old factory buildings.

News of that deal drew strong criticism from businessman Peter Colby, who had submitted a failed bid of £2.4m to buy the land so he could set up industrial units for fledgling firms by converting the old buildings to create new jobs, and also building some new homes.

Speaking this week, Mr Colby said: “Demolishing the buildings on that site is destroying the industrial integrity of Lowestoft.”

Sanyo closed its television factory in February 2009 with the loss of 60 jobs. At its height, the factory had a total workforce of 350 and produced about 300,000 televisions a year.

Related articles



  • I hear government compo for flooding is to be distributed by councils.I bet WDCs cronies and blue eyed boys are getting excited already..

    Report this comment

    kevin bacon

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014

  • Blimey... they've got that started quick. Me thinks it is so they van get past the 'point of no return' before they all lose their seats at the next election!

    Report this comment


    Tuesday, February 18, 2014

  • The buildings that are being demolished were perfectly good buildings that could have been recycled to provide jobs and employment for 4 to 500 people. Waveney district Council promised to have an open meeting to discuss the regeneration of Lowestoft. I held two meetings the last one being attended by 250 to 300 people who all called for a meeting with the council to discuss the need for regeneration. But as Kendo has pointed out there trying to get the buildings beyond the point of no return, were it is economically not viable to recycle. The buildings will then be knocked down the industrial heritage of the Sanyo site destroyed as will the buildings on the Brook Peninsula. It is not viable to destroy the industrial infrastructure and build houses which are in the flood risk zone which cannot economically be built due to the infrastructure clean up. Lowestoft desperately needs people who will stand up for Lowestoft. This is what we require our Waveney district councillors of all persuasions and our local MP to do for the people of Lowestoft. Unfortunately this is not happening the Conservative councillors and their leader and also the local MP has refused to attend the open meeting held at the Victoria hotel. As they had other engagements there engagements should be Lowestoft and its people who they represent. If they call a meeting please will you all attend.

    Report this comment

    Peter Colby

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Most Read

Featured Pages

Most Commented



max temp: 16°C

min temp: 9°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast

Digital Edition


Enjoy the EDP
digital edition


Broads Outdoor Festival


Enjoy the Broads
Outdoor Festival
digital edition


Eating Out in the Broads


Enjoy the Eating Out
in the Broads
digital edition


Great Days Out


Enjoy the Great Days
Out digital edition


Get Into Summer


Enjoy the Get Into
Summer digital edition