July 31 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, February 13, 2014
The sale of two eyesore buildings which have frustrated Fakenham residents for several years has been confirmed and work to repair one of them has already begun.
We reported last week how North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) has targeted eyesores in and around Fakenham as part of a district-wide crackdown on derelict buildings.
Among those were 57 Oak Street, a disused shop and flat which has been derelict for more than 20 years, and structurally unsound outbuildings at nearby Star Yard.
Both properties were owned by the same man and were sold to a single buyer last Thursday.
Work has already begun to repair 57 Oak Street.
A relative of the former owner of the buildings, who did not wish to be named, said: “He has been trying hard to sell the buildings and has been negotiating with the buyer since October.
“Unfortunately health issues and complications over the sale have held things up but the deal has been signed.”
Before the sale was completed NNDC had looked into appointing contractors to carry out works at both buildings and bill the owner for that work.
NNDC leader Tom FitzPatrick said: “I am delighted that we have been able to make this much progress, with work now underway to bring 57 Oak Street back into use and repairs to the dilapidated buildings in Star Yard to follow.
“This would not have happened if the district council had not intervened. It has taken 12 months hard work by NNDC environmental health, planning, conservation and legal officers to get us to this point. There’s much more to be done across the district but this is excellent progress.”
Other properties targeted by NNDC include 33 Oak Street, 16 Norwich Street, Tattersett Cottages and Coach House, Melton Hall.