April 19 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Norwich’s rich heritage is to be given extra protection after more than 100 buildings, including pubs and schools, were added to a list of precious properties to be safeguarded.
Churches, houses, libraries, factories, bridges and even Norfolk County Council’s County Hall have been locally listed by Norwich City Council.
The buildings have been added to the list after three years of work by civic watchdog the Norwich Society.
Volunteers drew up a list of buildings and landmarks around Norwich in an attempt to prevent a repeat of the fate which befell the Earl of Leicester pub.
To the dismay of many, the pub, in Dereham Road, was knocked down in 2005 to make way for flats, despite a last-ditch effort to get it listed by English Heritage. The flats have yet to be built.
The society, which in the 1930s helped prevent the city council from pulling down historic buildings in Elm Hill, joined forces with officers from City Hall to get locally listed other sites considered worthy of safeguarding.
The buildings were rated according to their condition, historic value, architectural value, value to the community and physical presence.
While being on the list is not binding when it comes to applications for planning permission and does not carry the same weight as an English Heritage listing, it does mean members of a planning committee would need to take the status into account when making decisions.
As City Hall officers state: “Placing a building on the local list does not give a building any additional legal protection, but it does mean that the heritage value of a locally identified heritage asset is a material consideration in determining planning applications.”
A number of pubs and former pubs feature on the list, including The West End Retreat in Browne Street; the Trafford Arms in Grove Road; Ketts Tavern on Ketts Hill; the Belle Vue in St Phillip’s Road; the Artichoke in Magdalen Road; the Mad Moose in Warwick Street and the Unthank Arms in Newmarket Street.
Schools on the list include Magdalen Gates School in Bull Close Road; Colman Infant School in Colman Road; Avenue Road School in Milford Road; Wensum Junior School in Turner Road and the Hewett School in Cecil Road.
Parts of Norwich Prison, in Knox Road, dating back to 1885-1890 are included, as is County Hall, the headquarters of Norfolk County Council, in Martineau Lane and Zak’s restaurant on Mousehold Heath.
Vicky Manthorpe, administrator for the Norwich Society (pictured left), said: “I am absolutely delighted that the list has been adopted. I hope it means that we have got a good basis for discussions over the future of those buildings.
“We do not want to see another situation like happened with the Earl Of Leicester pub. And this now means we should be able to add to the list when other properties come to our attention.”
What do you think? Are these buildings worth protecting? Write to Letters Editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE.
Here is the full list of the buildings which have been added to Norwich City Council’s local list:
Adelaide Street: Perserverance pub; Bread and Cheese pub
Angel Road: Norwich City Sure Start Centre and Angel Road Infant School; Angel Road Junior School
Arlington Lane: Arlington House
Armes Street: City Christian Centre (former Methodist Church)
Aylsham Road: Edward VII pub; Hamlin Court; Mile Cross Methodist Church; TA Centre.
Barrack Street: Former Steward and Patteson Brewery Office; former Sportsman pub
Bowthorpe Road: Earlham Cemetery North Lodge; Norwich Community Hospital Ward Blocks and Woodlands House Nurses Home (formerly Norwich Workhouse)
Branford Road: Branford Stores pub
Britannia Road: 2-8 (even); Cameron House
Browne Street: West End Retreat pub
Brunswick Road: Numbers 21/23
Bull Close Road: Magdalen Gates School
Buxton Road: 1-41 (odd); 2a; 4-50 (even)
Caernarvon Road: Former Female Refuge and Chapel
Carshalton Road: Cricket Pavilion
Cecil Road: 27-39 (odd); Hewett School
Christchurch Road: 48-58 (even); 58a; 51-59 (odd)
City Road: 35-43 (odd); 45-85 (odd); 101-105 (odd); 30-52 (even)
College Road: 1A; 55-61 (odd); 190/192; 197/199; 200-226 (even)
Colman Road: 131-139 (odd) and 132 -148 (even); Colman Infant School; Earlham Library
Connaught Road: 80 and 80A
Constitution Hill: Former Constitution Tavern pub
Constitution Opening: Number 5
Dereham Road: Former Barn Tavern pub; former Regal Cinema; Potters House Church; former rectory for St Martin at Oak and St Michael Coslany; 303-319 (odd); Notre Dame Preparatory School; Park Cottage; former Queen Charlotte pub; The Willows Lodge
Dibden Road: Florida Shoe Group/Van Dal Factory
Earlham Road: 150-168 (even); 205-221 (odd); St Thomas’s Church; St Thomas
Parish Rooms; Earlham Cemetery: Drinking
fountain; former Roman Catholic Chapel; Jewish Chapel; South Lodge
Eleanor Road: St Albans Vicarage
Gas Hill: Gas holder
Gertrude Road: Heath House pub
Grove Road: Trafford Arms pub
Grove Walk: St Albans Church
Gurney Road: Mousehold Pavilion (Zaks Restaurant)
Hall Road: 85a & 87/89; Hewett Yard; Railway bridge; St Marks Boys School; Pump House
Hardy Road: Gothic works (Pre-1928 buildings only)
Henley Road: Number 1
Kerrison Road: The Factory
Ketts Hill: Ketts Hill Bakery and Ketts Tavern pub
Knox Road: Norwich Prison (buildings dated 1885-1890)
Leicester Street: York Tavern pub
Lindley Street: former Cricketers Arms pub
Lower Clarence Road: Tudor House
Magdalen Road: Artichoke pub; 106 and 108; St Pauls Community Hall; Dyers Arms pub
Marionville Road: The White House
Martineau Lane: County Hall and County Record Office
Milford Road: Avenue Road School
Mill Close: Railway Bridge
Mousehold Avenue: Silver Road Baptist Church
Mousehold Street: Robin Hood pub
Nelson Street: Coronation House
Newmarket Street: Unthank Arms pub
Pembroke Road: Garden House pub
Plumstead Road: 26-38; Plumstead Road Library
Recreation Road: 61-67
Rosebery Road: Methodist Church; Lord Rosebery pub
Rowington Road: 9-19 (odd)
Russell Street: St Barnabas Church
Silver Road: 168 & 168A (former Co-op); former Baptist Church and attached Schoolhouse; 85; Silver Rooms; George White Junior School; St Mary Magdalene; The Cottage PH); 217/219 (former shoe factory)
Sloughbottom Park: Pavilion
Southwell Road: Railway bridge
Spencer Street: Marlborough Arms pub
Sprowston Road: St Georges Catholic Church
St Bartholomew’s Close: 1 & 3; 3a & 5; 2 & 4; 6 & 8
St James’ Close: 9-19
St Leonard’s Road: Jubilee Tavern pub
St Phillip’s Road: Belle Vue pub
Stafford Street: Alexandra Tavern pub
The Avenues: 21
Thorpe Road: Harbour House; Jonathan Scott Hall
Turner Road: Wensum Junior School
Unthank Road: 106-120 (even), 124-130 (even)
Union Street: Coach and Horses pub
Warwick Street: Mad Moose pub
Waterloo Road: Duke of Wellington pub
Waterworks Road: Eastgate Lodge, Pump House 1, Pump House 2