October 26 2014 Latest news:
Monday, January 28, 2013
A long-standing magazine that lets every resident of north Norfolk know what its council is doing is set to be scrapped from April.
Outlook, which is posted once every three months to every household, is recommended for the axe as part of the 2013/14 North Norfolk District Council budget, to be considered by its cabinet on February 4.
A report to the meeting says the move would save £26,000 per year. A council spokesman said there would be a “change of focus”, adding: “It’s no longer good enough just putting information out there and hoping that it will stick.”
He said the council would be looking into getting information out more often via the local media, and looking into social media like Twitter.
The likely decision is part of £163,000 of savings flagged up in the £12m budget, as NNDC tries to save £1.2m over the next two years because of decreased government funding.
Council leader Tom FitzPatrick said the sum had been reduced by £150,000 of income from additional investments, and said further savings could be on the horizon.
They included the potential reduction in costs from a group buying of recycling services from the waste centre at Costessey. Norfolk County Council and the county’s districts current have individual contracts, but Mr FitzPatrick hoped there would be “economies of scale” when they combined under a single contract.
He added that the council would soon be consulting electors about how they wanted their money spent, and whether council tax - which will remain at the same level for a third year - should be frozen, or increased to pay for extra.
The NNDC share of Band D council tax bills will continue to be £138.87.