April 19 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Out of the despair of last week’s floods has emerged a story of overwhelming generosity from communities across Norfolk and Suffolk.
Pledges from across the region have begun to come in following the launch of the EDP’s Norfolk and Lowestoft Flood Appeal.
The biggest tidal surge in 60 years – higher in some parts than the 1953 floods – has left hundreds of homeowners and businesspeople devastated.
As the clean-up operation continued, people began giving their money to help those left homeless by Thursday’s floods.
MPs gave their backing to the EDP’s flood appeal with a number pledging cash and donations to the cause.
Norfolk MPs George Freeman, Simon Wright, Chloe Smith and Henry Bellingham yesterday joined coastal MPs Brandon Lewis, Norman Lamb and Peter Aldous, who said over the weekend that they would donate money to help people affected by the storm surges.
Broadland MP Keith Simpson said he could offer a visit to the House of Commons and tea as part of the fundraising effort, while Labour MEP Richard Howitt has also promised to match the £100 offered by some of the coalition MPs.
North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb said: “I’m contributing £100 to help gets things started. Walcott needs our help.”
Mid-Norfolk MP George Freeman, who matched the donation, said: “These floods are a reminder of the daily reality of the threat facing those who live and work by and on the sea and Norfolk’s historic connection with and debt to them. They need our help, please give generously.”
Norwich South MP Simon Wright said: “No-one can fail to have been moved by many of the heart-breaking scenes caused by the floods. It’s vital that local communities have the funds that they need to help those who’ve been affected, and I strongly encourage readers and businesses to get behind the EDP appeal by making a donation.”
North West MP Henry Bellingham added: “I think it’s a fantastic cause, you have my support and I’ll be pleased to send a donation.”
Council leaders also gave their backing to the appeal. Mark Bee, leader of Suffolk County Council, said: “I think it’s a really good idea and I am very happy to support the appeal for the victims of the flood. It’s a very simple and effective way of helping and supporting those in need who have been affected as the days go on.”
Lowestoft mayor June Ford added: “We are still helping a lot of people in terrible states in John Street and Marine Parade.
“Some of them have got basement flats that were flooded and some of them aren’t insured. I hope the money from the EDP will be able to help them.”
Chef Galton Blackiston, owner of Morston Hall and No 1 Cromer fish and chips restaurant, said the flood had caused “incredible damage” to the Norfolk coast. He said: “It is important to highlight the appeal. It is a worthwhile thing to do because it has affected a lot of people and businesses.
“I’m very supportive of it.”