Former Norwich Connaught workers wait for result of compensation battle

Flashback to 2010, when Connaught Workers were told they had lost their jobs. Photo: Jerry Daws. Flashback to 2010, when Connaught Workers were told they had lost their jobs. Photo: Jerry Daws.

Dan Grimmer dan.grimmer@archant.co.uk
Monday, July 14, 2014
6:30 AM

More than a hundred Norwich workers who lost their jobs when city council contractor Connaught went into administration are waiting to find out if they will receive compensation.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Almost four years after they were made redundant, the former workers are waiting for the result of an industrial tribunal launched by their union.

Some 300 Norwich workers were made redundant in September 2010 when Connaught Partnerships – picked by Norwich City Council to carry out housing repair and maintenance work for the authority – went into administration.

Since 2011, construction union UCATT (Union of Construction, Allied Trades and Technicians) has been pursuing employment tribunal cases for unfair dismissal, failure to transfer and failure to inform and consult.

The claim was made against a series of contractors on behalf of 125 UCATT members. The tribunal case got underway earlier this year and the workers are now waiting to hear what the tribunal will rule.

The workers had been employed by Connaught to undertake repairs and maintenance on Norwich City Council’s housing stock as part of the £17.5m contract which had been signed with City Hall.

They were made redundant after the company plunged into administration after weeks of speculation that the Exeter-based firm was in trouble.

The job losses in Norwich were the highest of any single contract, following Connaught’s collapse, according to the union.

The city council maintained it could not have predicted the collapse of the company and had tried to secure a rescue package for the workers, which would have seen them transfer over to a new company.

But a deal the council hoped would be struck was scuppered because lawyers feared a legal challenge.

In June last year, UCATT won a settlement worth nearly £500,000 on behalf of 130 workers made redundant when another city council contractor went into administration.

Those workers were employed by Fountains undertaking street cleaning, parks and garden maintenance and grave digging for the council, but lost their jobs without warning in January 2012.

• Are you a Connaught worker waiting for the decision? Tell us your story by calling Dan Grimmer on 01603 772375 or email dan.grimmer@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Eastern Daily Press visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Eastern Daily Press staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Eastern Daily Press account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Norfolk Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 12°C

min temp: 11°C

Five-day forecast

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT