December 5 2013 Latest news:
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Eyesore Hoveton hotel set to be knocked down after action deadline runs out
An eyesore hotel close to a busy Broads riverside is set to be demolished after its owner failed to respond to a council deadline for action on the site.
Work on knocking down the Broads Hotel at Hoveton will take place towards the end of November, after rubbish clearance and an asbestos survey.
The bill will be sent to the owner, Jon Herbert, a south Norfolk District councillor living at Mulbarton.
If it is not paid North Norfolk District Council, which is behind the action, may force a sale or seek compulsorily purchase for development.
The site, off Station Road close to the Roys of Wroxham car park, has planning permission 17 flats, which was granted in February 2012.
Demolition was a condition of the approval, to be carried out within a year.
After nothing happened, the council served a Building Act notice in July, requiring the owner to either repair or demolish the dilapidated hotel.
There was no appeal against the notice and the deadline for action passed on October 17, prompting the demolition move.
The action been welcomed by the local district councillor Nigel Dixon.
He said: “This is very welcome news, although it’s been an extremely long and frustrating time coming.
“The Broads Hotel owner has had many opportunities to avoid this situation but soon after closure, about six years ago, he appeared to set himself against the community by heaping old unsightly furniture on the frontage, attracting vermin and creating a recurring health and safety hazard.
“Residents and local businesses will welcome clearance of the eyesore and the securing of the site, and will look forward to a new development taking its place.”
Fencing was put around the site on Friday October 18 ready for the rubbish clearance and asbestos check, and preventing the owner from entering the site.
After some on-site preparatory work full demolition is expected to start in late November.
Mr Herbert previously told the council the hotel had ceased to be viable, but was reluctant to spend money on the site until he got planning permission.
He was unavailable when contacted for a comment on the latest council action.