Decision due on 100 homes in Wroxham

Development director Simon Bryan at the Hopkins Homes public exhibition over 100 homes at Wroxham. Development director Simon Bryan at the Hopkins Homes public exhibition over 100 homes at Wroxham.

Dan Grimmer dan.grimmer@archant.co.uk
Monday, January 6, 2014
7:30 AM

Controversial proposals for 100 new homes in Wroxham, which some villagers fear will make roads more dangerous, will come before councillors this week.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Hopkins Homes wants to build the houses on land off Salhouse Road, alongside the main Norwich Road in the south of the village.

The proposals have been in the pipeline for more than a year and the developer organised a public exhibition to reveal the plans in January last year.

But the scheme sparked concern, with almost 70 letters of objection lodged against the application which was first submitted.

That proposal would have seen the new homes served by an access road onto Salhouse Road, south of The Avenue, but the county council, as highways authority, said that was not acceptable.

The revised scheme is for the access road onto Salhouse Road to be between Keys Drive and The Avenue, but villagers remain concerned about the plans.

Wroxham Parish Council has said it has no objection to the location, scale and nature of the proposed development, but it does have “serious reservations” about highway safety for traffic joining Salhouse Road.

The council submission stated: “We are concerned about the impact of additional motor traffic on the already unsatisfactory junction of Keys Drive and Preston Close with the Salhouse Road at the sharp bend in close proximity to the site access road.

“Many of our residents report having to brake sharply and take action to avoid collision with HGVs and buses which regularly swing wide at the bend.”

The parish council says “urgent attention” needs to be taken to alleviate the difficulties there.

The council also said it had concerns that a proposed crossing point for pedestrians would not be a controlled crossing.

However, officers at Broadland District Council are recommending that members of its planning committee, due to meet on Wednesday, agree to delegate authority to their head of planning to approve the scheme.

In the report which will come before councillors, they state: “Despite the concern raised by the parish council in respect to highways matters, the highway authority is content that the local highway network, including the Keys Drive/ Preston Close junction will be able to safely accommodate the additional traffic with the mitigation measures proposed in place.”

They say a controlled crossing had been considered by the county council, but was not considered to be justified.

If the scheme gets the go-ahead, the 100 homes would consist of 84 houses, six bungalows and 10 apartments. Thirty-three of the units would be provided for affordable housing.

Do you have a story about a new development? Call reporter Dan Grimmer on 01603 772375 or email dan.grimmer@archant.co.uk

1 comment

  • Let's hope they get approval. We need more homes.

    Report this comment

    Michael Clintergate

    Monday, January 6, 2014

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Norfolk Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 6°C

Five-day forecast

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT