March 4 2015 Latest news:
Friday, January 31, 2014
Police have found a man reported missing at Bawsey Pits, where two people drowned last summer.
The man, in his 20s, was found safe and well at around 5.50pm.
A police statement said: “An extensive search was launched at around 3pm this afternoon after concerns were raised for the welfare of a man whose car had been discovered in the area.
“The man was eventually located safe and well at around 5.50pm. He is being assessed by ambulance staff as a matter of precaution.
“Norfolk Constabulary would like to take this opportunity to thank its partner agencies including members of Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, Norfolk Lowland Search and Rescue and the East of England Ambulance Service for their assistance in this matter.
Police combed woodland and bankside areas surrounding the former sandpits, which have been closed to the public since two people died on the same day last July.
A spokesman at the force’s Wymondham HQ initially said: “Officers are currently searching the Bawsey Pits area following reports of a missing person.
“The search follows a call to police at around 3pm today, concerning the welfare of a man in his 20s.
“A vehicle has been located in the area and the police helicopter is assisting officers on the ground to locate the man.”
The bodies of Ryan Pettengell, 41, of Railway Road, King’s Lynn, and Umar Balogun, 16, from the Waltham Forest area of London, were recovered from the water at the site after a major search by the emergency services last July.