October 24 2014 Latest news:
By DAISY WALLAGE
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Government funding of up to £1.75m hangs in the balance after plans for 53 homes on a major King’s Lynn development site were deferred for a second time today (Thursday).
Planners at West Norfolk Council still have serious concerns about the revised designs for the second phase of the Nar Ouse Regeneration Area (NORA) on the edge of the town.
Applicant Morston Assets is seeking £1.75m funding under Get Britain Building, an initiative launched last year to get work started on stalled projects across the country.
But to be eligible for the money, the developer needed to have planning permission in place by Saturday.
The council rejected proposals for 58 houses at the site last month and councillors decided the revised design and layout of the scheme was still not up to scratch at a meeting this morning.
Members objected to the appearance of the proposed homes, particularly the inclusion of mono-pitched roofs, and the way in which three homes still had no access to their back gardens - despite the re-design.
Councillor David Collis said neither of the two design options proposed by Morston were acceptable and Zipha Christopher branded the three-storey block facing the play area “hideous.”
“In 30 year’s time I can see this looking like Hillington Square,” she said. “There is no use in trying to be trendy and modern if it’s not going to stand the test of time.”
Chairman Vivienne Spikings agreed, adding: “In 30 year’s time people will ask why on earth did they put that there? We have a chance here to put it right.”
Members were also concerned that people living in the homes fronting Morston Drift would need to reverse out of their driveways, having no space to turn around.
Officers advised them that the arrangements were in-line with government guidelines, but councillor Martin Storey said the council should make a stand.