June 19 2013 Latest news:
Alex Hurrell, Reporter
Friday, January 11, 2013
Two men were forced to flee for their lives this morning, one without his shoes, after fire broke out in a bedroom of their Cromer home.
Brian Coussell and his son Kieron were inside their house, on St Mary’s Road, when the blaze broke out shortly before 10am.
Kieron, who had been downstairs at the time, said: “My father noticed clouds of smoke and asked me what was going on. The fire was in my bedroom. As soon as I saw smoke billowing from the duvet I said: ‘That’s it. Let’s get out right now.’ I didn’t have time to put on any shoes.”
Kieron stood outside shivering on the pavement in shirt sleeves and wet socks and watched firefighters deal with the blaze, on the top floor of the three-storey building, until crew members provided him with a blanket and something dry to stand on.
He speculated that the fire could have been started either by a candle which had not been properly extinguished or a faulty transformer for his laptop computer.
Fire crews from Cromer, North Walsham and Mundesley used breathing apparatus and hosereel jets to deal with the fire and then used a large fan to disperse smoke from the building. St Mary’s Road was blocked off while they were at the scene.
Naturists are to be banned from a nationally-renowned Norfolk beach following complaints about anti-social behaviour committed in the area.
max temp: 25°C
min temp: 15°C